Just Add Music

Most branches incorporate music into their monthly programs, including sing-alongs, music during story times, and concerts for kids. Miss Amy performs with her guitar at many branches. So does Pat McKinley. Mr. Ray, Guitar Bob, and Yosi are also popular musicians with the preschool crowd. Many librarians know that adding music to their storytime programs is very effective in helping children to re-focus after listening to a story. Besides being fun, are there other reasons why music is valuable to good library programming? I think so, and for many reasons. Because music is so important for the healthy development of children, I would advocate adding more music to our library programming.

Many studies have been done that show the positive relation between music and early childhood development. A musical program where instruments are passed out, and where children are encouraged to dance and move to the music, can benefit children in at least four areas. Their fine and gross motor skills can be improved through dancing and handling instruments. Their vocal and speech development can be enhanced. Their listening skills are fostered. And important interpersonal skills of sharing and cooperation are fostered.

Because music is so beneficial to a child’s development, there are many programs available to parents that introduce their children to music. Kids Music Round is just one of them. At the West Windsor Branch we invite a teacher from Kid’s Music Round to give a demonstration class on a regular basis. Another program, Music Together also offers classes where children participate in music and movement. These programs are popular, and parents pay for them because they see their value.

Music has always been an important part of my life. My dad played the clarinet and saxophone and had a beautiful singing voice. I took piano lessons, and sang in church and school choirs. As a teenager I learned to play the guitar. When I became a children’s librarian I wanted to incorporate my love of music into my programs. While working at the Lawrence Headquarters Branch, I began a monthly program called “Sing & Play,” where I played my guitar, and then taught the kids motions to many children’s songs. When I came to West, I began doing the program twice a month. Parents often asked what CD’s I used, so I created a short bibliography of them. When Sing & Play became a real success, I started incorporating more music and movement into my story times for babies and toddlers. Many parents tell me that their children sing all the songs at home, even when they don’t sing during a class. I would encourage children’s librarians everywhere, when in doubt about how to make your preschool programs a success to Just Add Music.

Some Favorites:
Under A Shady Tree - Laurie Berkner
Whaddaya Think of That - Laurie Berkner
Yummy Yummy - The Wiggles
Rocketship Run - Laurie Berkner Band

- Susan F.

Comments