Traditional Rhymes for Babies


At the Hopewell Branch Library we offer a baby time program for children ages birth to 2 years and their caregivers.  The program introduces rhythmic and repetitive rhymes and songs to simulate babies and encourage language development. Each week we use a mixture of bouncing rhymes, tickle rhymes, finger plays, and action songs to create a fun interactive program. Here are some of our favorites:

Smile
I can make my baby smile
My baby smile, my baby smile
I can make my baby smile,
When I tickle her toes*
(*Repeat with nose, tummy, feet…)

The Kissy Game
(Kiss baby as you introduce different body parts)
Kissy, kissy fingers,
Kissy, kissy toes,
Kissy, kissy baby
On your Kissy, kissy nose.

I love to kiss your fingers,
I love to kiss your toes,
I love to kiss my baby
On her kissy, kissy nose.

Criss Cross (with the baby in your lap repeat these words and actions)
Criss, Cross, Applesauce (Draw an “X” with your finger on baby’s back)
Spiders crawling up your back (Crawl your fingers up the child’s back)
Tight squeeze (Give the child a big hug)
Cool breeze (Blow on baby’s neck)
Now you’ve got the shivers. (Tickle baby)

The grand old Duke of York
(Bounce baby on your lap and lift up and down with words)
The grand old Duke of York
He had ten thousand men
He marched them up to the top of the hill and
Marched them down again

And when they’re up they’re up
And when they’re down they’re down
And when they’re only halfway up
They’re neither up nor down

This is the way 
This is the way the lady rides
Trit Trot Trit Trot (bounce baby gently)
This is the way gentleman rides
Giddy up Giddy up Giddy up (bounce baby a little faster)
This is the way the farmer rides
Clip clop Clip clop (bounce baby slower)
This is the way the baby rides
Yippee! (lift up baby)

Tommy thumb
Tommy Thumb* is up
and Tommy Thumb is down,
Tommy Thumb is dancing
all around the town,
Dance him on your shoulders,
Dance him on your head,
Dance him on your knees
and tuck him into bed!
(*Repeat with Peter Pointer, Toby Tall, Ruby Ring, Pinkie Finger, Finger Family)

They’re a Part of Me
(to the tune of “Wheels on the Bus”)
I can make my hands go
Clap, clap, clap* (3x)
I can make my hands go clap, clap, clap
They’re a part of me
 (*Repeat with Toes go tap, Feet go stomp, Hands wave bye)


Where is the baby?
(use a scarf with this rhyme to hide the baby)
(To the tune of Frere Jacques)
Where is the baby? Where is the baby?
There she is! There she is!
I’m so glad to see you.
I’m so glad to see you.
Peek-a-boo!
Peek-a-boo!

(You can use shakers with the next two rhymes to emphasize the rhythms)
Grandma, Grandma
Grandma, Grandma you’re not sick
All you need is a peppermint stick
Hands up...1,2,3
Hands down...1,2,3
All around...1,2,3

Peas porridge 
Peas porridge hot
Peas porridge cold
Peas porridge in the pot
Nine days old
Some like it hot
Some like it cold
Some like it in the pot
Nine days old


Reference
Maddigan, B. (2003). The big book of stories, songs, and singalongs: Programs for babies, toddlers, and families. Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited.

- Briana C.

Comments