A Crocheter in the Making. How About You?

I have always loved cozy woven sweaters, scarves and hats. I have loved their warmth, their tactile feel, and all the variety of patterns and colors in their weaves. When it comes to clothes, I am an under buyer. However, when it comes to scarves, how difficult it is for me to pass on one of good quality fiber, color or weave! My mother could do it all - sew, knit, crochet, embroider, quilt. You name it and she knew it! It was a wonderful creative outlet for her. As a teen, I may have been a disappointment because I had no interest in such past times. I tried sewing in Home Ec. & made a mess of a simple dress, feeling little patience for the process.

Fast forward: I grew up, had children of my own and started to appreciate the skills of the home. I began to enjoy cooking, gardening, home decorating, and crafting. With library books, I taught myself hand embroidery. I did not know how to use a sewing machine, but I could embroider fabric pictures to hang, and embellish shirt fronts and blankets. I was thrilled and surprised at discovering a new talent!

Later, I looked at the scarves in my closet and I wanted to learn to knit or crochet. This time, the books did not work for me (I blame my being left-handed in a right-handed world). My mother and I lived far apart but, on a visit, she tried to teach me to knit. I just could not get the hang of it and then did not have her near to guide me. I was discouraged. Feeling frustrated, I gave up, thinking, “I’m just not good at this!”

How things change!  Several months ago I saw a two hour Intro to Crochet class offered at the library, all materials supplied. With curiosity, I thought, “What have I got to lose?” and I registered for the class. I found a friendly, patient instructor, a small group of participants and an easy-going atmosphere. We were taught a couple of simple stitches, how to read a very simple pattern, and how to start a project. We breezily chatted together as we focused our hands at learning these new skills.
I left with a half-finished crocheted animal - with my newbie skills, it was hard to see what it was! - and an enthusiasm to practice and nurture a possible new talent. I requested books and videos from the library catalog to help me along. In recent years, the technology of book making has upped the quality of illustrations in instructional books. A tip: When learning a new skill, try a children’s book. The instructions and projects are usually simpler.

This winter, as I have spent more time at home, sheltered from the cold, I have made three scarves, a neck cowl (a short infinity scarf), hand warmers (mittens that leave the fingers free), a beanie hat with a flower, a crafting tool bag, a gift card envelope and a handle for a damaged tote bag. It has all been a gratifying new challenge for me.

When I taught myself embroidery, we did not have YouTube with its proliferation of video instructions for crafts and so many other skills. I have used it when the written instructions just were not working for me or I wanted a different design (like I did for the beanie flower). If you start searching online, you will find lots of crafting blogs to follow others’ suggestions, patterns and crafting journeys. As a beginner, I find the skill levels daunting but I imagine the blogs will be better for me once I have gained more experience.

If you want to give crocheting a try too, all of the titles below are great for a beginner and can be found in the Mercer County LibrarySystem catalog. While at the library’s website, browse the program schedules for a variety of craft activities. Several branches, including Hightstown, also have crafting clubs/circles to socialize, work on a project and if you get stuck, ask for help from fellow crafters.

 

 



I wish you much success!

-Kim Luke, Hightstown Memorial Branch

Comments

  1. So well written Kim! I feel like you took me along on your own personal journey. I am inspired now!

    Kaneeze

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment