Curling Up With a Classic


I often go through phases in my reading during which I am drawn to particular types of books.  There were times when I have read through lots of horror, or picked up several graphic novels in a row.  But recently my kick has been classics.  I have found myself re-reading things I read years ago or reading books that everyone knows but I have never picked up.  It has probably been partially spurred by the beautiful reprints of many classic titles that are available now.  Penguin Books in particular has reprinted many classics with eye-catching covers that tend to be simple but brightly colored.  They beg to be picked up!  Some of the covers may be seen below.  

It has been very interesting to see how my thoughts on a book compare to popular opinion or how they might have changed over the years.  What you get from a story can vary a great deal based on where you are in your life when you read that story.  For instance, I read all the Harry Potter books as they came out in my young adulthood.  I re-read them years later with my son.  In my younger days, I am sure I felt most connected to the characters of Harry, Ron and Hermione.  Reading them as a parent, I connected so much more to the adult characters – the Weasley parents and the Hogwarts teachers.  Is some ways it felt like a new reading experience, even though it was a familiar story.
While I have certainly disliked a few (Little Women and Love in the Time of Cholera come to mind – please don’t hate me), here are a few of my favorite classic titles I have read in the past couple of years….

ATree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith: 

This is the coming-of-age story of a young girl at the turn of the century.  I remember having to read this book for school in eighth grade.  I think I liked it.  When I read it as an adult, I adored it.  The story is often sad, sometimes suspenseful or funny and, although the details are so different from my own experiences, the emotions resonated deeply within me.  I plan on reading it with my own kids when they get a little older.

Anneof Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery:

Actually, my feelings about this classic have not changed much at over the years.  I was charmed by Anne as a child and as an adult.  What really surprised me about this was how much my sons loved it.  I read it aloud to them and was sure they would balk at this old-fashioned story about a girl, but they happily sat through it and its sequel, Anne ofAvonlea.  That has to be a sign of quality writing! 

AnimalFarm by George Orwell:

This is another one that I read in high school, but I am pretty sure a lot of it went over my head then.  The satire is more salient to me now as an adult and still feels politically relevant even though it was first published in 1945.

To Kill a Mockingbirdby Harper Lee:

Okay, to be honest, I have read this multiple times over the years.  It is a favorite that warrants a revisit every now and then.  In my opinion, Atticus and Scout Finch are two of the most wonderful characters ever written.

GoneWith the Wind by Margaret Mitchell:

I’m not quite done with this one.  It is a long book and is taking me a long time, but I am surprised by how much I am enjoying it.  There must be something magical about Mitchell’s writing because she has managed to keep me completely engrossed in the story for 700 pages even though the main character is, frankly, unlikeable and the book is filled with rampant racist ideas.  The plot is so compelling and the strength of Scarlett O’Hara somehow remains admirable despite her selfish tendencies.  It’s also a war story told from a different perspective than many others. 

You can pick up these or other classic titles at any of our branches (and it might have a beautiful new cover!).  Many are also available as eBooks or audiobooks that can be downloaded from eLibraryNJ or Hoopla.  Happy reading!


- Christine C., Hollowbrook Branch

Comments