Happily Strumming a Tune!


Ukulele music first had its heyday nearly 100 years ago in the 1920s. In the last 20 years, it has had a resurgence.  Maybe you saw George Harrison & Paul McCartney strumming ukuleles in the Beatles’ Anthology extras as they harmonized together in song? Or you heard that Eddie Vedder released an album of ukulele songs in 2011 (an album that won a Grammy)? Ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro made a name for himself after posting a video in 2006 on the then-new site, YouTube.com, playing an enchanting instrumental cover of the Beatles’ “While My Guitar Gently Weeps.” (As of this summer, it has had more than 16 million views.) I have spotted photos of many celebrities sporting ukuleles: George Clooney, Ryan Gosling, Taylor Swift, Pink, and Johnny Depp to name a few. I’ve even seen photos floating on the internet of former president Barack Obama strumming one!

For those of us who are not famous, there are the many ukulele festivals across the country, including the annual August Ukefest New Jersey in Morristown. Ukuleles, with their 4 strings and playful twangy sound, have the appeal of being an everyman instrument and feel accessible to many people who know they’ll never make a career on the stage. It’s one instrument that you can’t play and not laugh!

I, for one, have been a lifelong music lover but, besides 3 years of middle school band (as the last chair flute player because I was too lazy to practice), I have never mastered an instrument. This began to change a year ago when I purchased an inexpensive uke on Amazon.com and registered for a beginner’s class with the Coffeehouse Project in Princeton. It has been a steep learning curve for me and I’ve certainly not mastered playing it, but I’m motivated and having fun. I finished the class. I bought books and borrowed some from the library and discovered teachers on YouTube. I’m not practicing everyday like I know I should, but I do it when I can. The joy of a hobby when you’re older is that I am doing it for myself and not for anyone else’s approval. After a long day of responsibilities I can kick back, relax and strum a favorite tune. I am so happy to have found a friend in my uke!

If you, too, are interested in picking up a ukulele and giving it a try I have some resources for you.
For inspiration, the libraries have much ukulele music available to check-out, including Hawaiian folk music, 1920s artists like George Formby, and contemporary music like Eddie Vedder’s Ukulele Songs. You have your choice of formats:  Music CDs or streaming on hoopa and Flipster.
As a fairly new ukulele player, my favorite resource from the library system is the book, Easy Songs for the Ukulele: Play the Melodies of 20 Pop, Folk, Countryand Blues Songs by Lil Rev. It’s a supplement to the Hal Leonard method. I couldn’t tell you who Lil Rev is, but these are easy arrangements of fun-loving songs.

However, a complete newbie won’t be quite ready for this book. Local opportunities for lessons are growing and a simple internet search will find you many to choose from. I found my class at the Princeton Adult School. Their fall session catalog will be out soon. https://www.princetonadultschool.org/

There are loads of ukulele teachers on YouTube. Do a search on the website and you’ll find a dizzying array of channels. Let me narrow them down for you by sharing my favorites:

And, if you’re looking for a community, you can begin online at any of these websites to pick up tips, ask questions and connect with fellow players:
- Kim L. Hightstown Branch

Comments