Get Hooked on Crocheting

Last winter, just before one of the many storms that blanketed our area with snow, I decided to pick up an old hobby. I drove to the store and bought a crochet hook and some yarn, determined to try to remember how to make granny squares. Nanny, my paternal grandmother, was a wonderful crocheter. She made us afghans, decorations, and even a small rug for my bedroom. She taught me a few basic stitches when I was about 11 years old. I started a lot of projects but, as I got older, I put aside crocheting for other activities.


Decorations made by Nanny (Laura Cromwell)


Armed with my new hook and yarn, I was ready to start again and recall all the lessons that Nanny taught me. I made a slip knot and wrapped the yarn around my fingers with no problems. I even managed to make a chain. Sadly, I couldn't quite remember what to do next. I turned to Google and found not only are there a lot of crocheting websites, but also YouTube videos to teach beginners, or in my case to remind me of things that I had forgotten.

I made a beautiful scarf last year for myself and a baby blanket for my cousin. Then I crocheted some small monsters and drawstring bags for the Summer Reading Program - that's when one of my young patrons asked if I could teach him. My first thought was no - I felt I didn't know enough to properly teach anyone - but his request stuck with me and by September I was willing to try and I taught my first crochet class at the Robbinsville Branch. We finger crocheted chain bracelets and necklaces and practiced with the hooks!






If you have run out of indoor activities to do with your children and are ready for something different, give crocheting a try and learn a new skill together!

Some benefits of learning to crochet:
Improves hand eye coordination and fine motor skills
Teaches patience
Encourages creativity
Reinforces basic math skills (especially when developing their own pattern)
Practices problem solving techniques

A few books to help you get started:
Kids Learn to Crochet by Lucinda Guy
Kids Crochet: Projects for Kids of All Ages by Kelli Ronci
Knit, Hook, and Spin: A Kid's Activity Guide to Fiber Arts and Crafts by Laurie M Carlson

Videos of kids teaching kids to crochet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMVNXeL_E6w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFLdi_hTnK0

- Michelle C., Robbinsville Branch

Comments