Adult Craft Programs at the Library


Programs that have recently been increasing in popularity are the adult craft programs at the library. There seems to be a burgeoning demand for creative activities to be offered for a growing number of adults. Crafting and creative projects are not just for kids - adults are wanting to learn new techniques to let their creative side flourish.

The crafts being offered at the Mercer County Library branches are fun, open to all skill levels, and are what patrons have been calling their "me time." There is a wide range of variety in the crafts as well. There are painting classes, knitting, DIY crafts, and much more to choose from. I have had the opportunity to attend some of the adult craft classes and, really having no talent, still managed to create pieces that I am proud of and I had so much fun!

I don't know how to sew, knit or paint, and really do appreciate the people who have an aptitude for making pretty things. When I signed up for my first "paint a canvas" program at the library, I had low expectations for myself. I figured I would at the very least learn some painting techniques even if my painting wasn't the greatest. I came away from the program, as have so many others, with a piece that I actually love and display in my home.

I was quite surprised by the fact that I enjoyed a craft that required a bit of sewing. I have some experience with cross-stitching but am not a seamstress by any stretch of the imagination. However, the description and sample of the stuffed owl craft looked so cute and fun that I signed myself right up. I was a little intimidated when I got to the program but the instructor put everyone at ease immediately. She said that she would help with all the steps along the way. An hour later, I had the cutest little stuffed owl toy that I could either use as a decorative piece or give to my little niece as a gift.

Another adult craft program that was extremely well received was a "no sew fleece lap blanket." The program filled up quickly and, when the program day came, patrons were so happy with their finished products. Some wanted to donate their blankets to local pet shelters while others were planning on gifting them to family members. A few of the patrons who regularly come in to enjoy the adult craft programs left with big smiles on their faces, promising to see us at the next program! This creates a very friendly and comfortable atmosphere for all the participants.

Make your own glass jar luminaries, facial scrubs out of household ingredients, gorgeous decorative wreaths, felt soaps....the possibilities are endless. These programs and more are offered at the library free of cost. All you have to do is sign up! See you at the next adult craft program!

- By Kaneeze, Hightstown

Comments

  1. Hi Kaneeze! Thank you for sharing these wonderful crafts experience with us. Yes, we absolutely need 'Me Time' to get away our busy schedule. I really love all programs at library and also get to know each other in the community. Hope more people will participate in these wonderful program, sign up and attend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment