It's Never Too Late to Learn

"You can't teach old dogs new tricks." How many times have I heard that saying? It's one of the oldest sayings in the English language and many of us just assume that it is true.

Well, it is not. Research shows that a person can learn new languages and new skills at any age. The brain is capable of rewiring itself when new information is introduced. We as human beings have the amazing ability to adapt. Often my complaint or excuse is that I just don't have the time needed to learn something new. I have to remind myself that if something is a priority or a necessity, I will find a way to learn and grow. Learning new skills is a constant in this ever changing world.

When my kids were younger, I felt like I couldn't find the time to even take a deep breath. It was nonstop "go time." We were constantly running to this class or to that appointment. Now that they are older and are independent, I feel like I finally have the time to do things I want to - but I really don't have any idea of what my interests are. That's where the library comes in. Where else can I find online resources that I am able to utilize from the comfort of my own home...often in my pajamas? There is so much to choose from. Do-it-yourself projects that other bloggers have done and have written about give me an idea of supplies needed and the time a project takes. Drawing and painting classes on YouTube tutorials done by our talented library staff are such a fun way to let creativity flourish. Even growing a garden seems like something simple and fun that anyone can do. These are just some of the ideas that I have gotten from our online library resources. One common thread that I have noticed is that there is no "right age" to start a new hobby, or rekindle an interest in an old one, and that our library staff have a lot of hidden talents!

In addition to watching tutorials on how to paint, craft, and create, I thought to myself maybe I should try to re-learn a language in the time I have. I read somewhere that learning a second language is beneficial for the aging brain. Well, I am aging...so I thought to myself, why not? Let's give it a go.

I have started using the Mango Languages resource available on our website to learn how to read Urdu, a language spoken in my grandparents' home. As children, we used to speak to our grandparents in this language but never learned how to read or write it. Using the Mango language software, I am able to identify letters and hear the sounds in a simple and easy manner. The lessons go from very basic to more advanced and I can do it at my own pace without feeling rushed. I feel so accomplished after completing a lesson on the computer! I never feel embarrassed because there is no judgement and I can repeat a lesson if I feel the need to do so.

Learning a new language is one example of a skill that has numerous benefits, socially as well as mentally. Many studies show that learning a foreign language improves memory and sharpens your mind. I was surprised to discover that learning another language can actually improve one’s understanding of a first language. Vocabulary, grammar, and sentence structure are in fact enhanced when learning multiple languages.

Look no further than the Mercer County Library website for lessons and links and numerous on-line resources to learn a new skill or to pick up a new interest. Currently we have three language databases available for your use - Mango Languages, Pronunciator, and Rosetta Stone. There are lessons, apps to track your progress, practice activities and quizzes. And like I said earlier, it is all easily accessible on our website from the comfort of your own home...or in my case, my bed.

By Kaneeze of Hightstown

Comments

  1. In the same boat...thanks for giving words to my feelings! Going to use your tips to figure out what I want to learn next...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T
      hanks for your ongoing support!

      Delete

Post a Comment