Looking for a New Fur-ever Friend

Since I’ve been a little girl, I’ve always grown up with dogs. We’ve had small dogs, big dogs, goofy dogs, lovable dogs. The list goes on and on. Having dog as a companion is nothing like any relationship you can have with another individual. As I got older, moved out of my parents’ house, and eventually got married, I was ready to have my own dog. So one bright morning a couple months after we got married, my husband and I brought home a small little fluff ball we named Libby.


She became our world. Libby was always there to listen. She was there when I was home alone, so I would feel safe. Libby was my 12 pound security system. She would snuggle with me when I might have had a bad day and protected me through two pregnancies. She later became a part of my children’s lives. Then last fall she became ill, and by Halloween we had to say goodbye. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. We are slowly approaching a year without her and I still feel her absence. I still look for her. I wonder why floors are dirty (she was a great vacuum!). I can now say, I can look back on our time with her with more of a smile than with tears. I know she is always with us.

Looking forward, my family and I are ready to welcome a new dog into our home. But where to begin? Where do you start the search? First, think of the breed of dog you are looking to welcome into your home. Once you have the type of breed you would like to look for, you can search for breeders, adoption centers, shelters or stores - usually they are working with breeders themselves. This can help if the breed of dog you are looking for is coming from out-of-state. Another thing is making sure your home is ready. Is your home dog proof? Do you have leashes, bowls, toys, etc.? Other factors to consider are behavioral training and what it will be like acclimating to a new family member.

If you are starting the process of welcoming a new dog into your home, below are some books offered through the Mercer County Library System that can help prepare you. You can also check with your local adoption centers and animal shelters. You can find them throughout Mercer County and the rest of New Jersey.

The Adopted Dog Bible
by Kim Saunders

Imagine Life with a Well-Behaved Dog: A 3-Step Positive Dog-Training Program
by Julie A. Bjelland

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting and Owning a Dog
by Sheila Webster Boneham

Before & After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, & Well-Behaved Dog
by Ian Dunbar

Getting in Touch with Your Dog: A Gentle Approach to Influencing Behavior, Health, and Performance
by Linda Tellington-Jones






- Dana Sessa, Lawrence Branch 



Comments