Adventures in Outdoor Programming

In the beginning of March, we had an early taste of spring with some beautiful weather and I was R.E.A.D.Y. to get outside and start doing some in-person programs! The virtual programs on GoToMeeting and YouTube have been a nice alternative when in-person programming was not an option and the library system will continue to offer them, but I really missed seeing the kids at my branch! The main reason I love my job as a youth services librarian so much is because of those kids. Seeing more and more families returning to the library over the past several weeks for outdoor programs has been a breath of fresh air (pun intended). There is nothing quite like reading a book or singing a song and seeing the kids’ faces light up.

However, during my first outdoor story time, I was a big ball of nerves. Even though I have been a youth services librarian for over 16 years, this was a whole new world for me. There were many new things to keep in mind like worrying if the weather was going to cooperate, bringing all the equipment outside, the children wearing masks and spacing the families six feet apart to keep everyone safe, and figuring out how the kids would be able to see the books I was reading since they were so far away from me. It has definitely been a learning experience and I’ve continued to make improvements. The nerves are now gone and have given way to excitement! What’s even better is that the families attending the programs have reciprocated the excitement. The caregivers have been so happy to get the kids out of the house for safe activities. On many occasions they have taken the time to express their gratitude, but what they may not realize is that I am just as grateful for them!

In addition to weekly storytimes, the Hickory Corner Branch had plastic egg dyeing, side walk chalk, a nature hunt and an egg scavenger hunt in March. In April, we added an outside table to hand out math activity kits to school age children and a dance party! We also hosted Kim Yarson for an outside concert in our side parking lot.


A variety of outdoor programming is now being offering at all of the Mercer County Library System branches-- and not just for the kids. Check the Mercer County Library System website event page (https://www.eventkeeper.com/mars/xpages/m/mcl/ekp.cfm) or download the MyMCLSNJ app (https://mcl.org/download-our-new-app) to see what outdoor programs are being offered at your local branch. We hope to see you in-person soon!

- by Miss Andrea (Hickory Corner Branch)

Comments