Empower Yourself!

In a recent conversation, my friend mentioned how it is absolutely imperative to "empower ourselves." I had heard this phrase countless times but still had no idea what it meant. So, I did what all of us do in this day and age...I went to Google for answers. According to Google's definition, "Personal empowerment is about taking control of your own life, and making positive decisions based on what you want. It's closely linked to attributes like self-esteem and self-confidence, but true empowerment comes when you convert intention into action."

Of course, there are many aspects of the world that are not in my control. Focusing on those can create a sense of anxiety. Instead, personal empowerment comes about when I focus my abilities and attention on the things that are in my control. If I can simply understand that something is not in my control and figure out a way to make peace with it, it will help to relieve some of the stress. A diagnosis of an illness is one example of this. A life changing diagnosis takes time to get used to and come to terms with. It may not be in my control that I have diabetes, for example, but somehow I must figure out a way to deal with it and come to terms with it. I may not be able to change the diagnosis but I can learn to live with it in such a way that it does not influence every moment of my life. I will possibly need to change my lifestyle, eating habits, stress management and more, which will result in me having more control of my health and general well-being. The information I learn about how to become more health conscious, when put into practice, empowers me mentally and physically. I feel physically healthier and more in control of myself, and that in turn builds my self-confidence.

Another example of a situation that is not in my control and may have an effect on my well-being is being stuck in traffic. Being stuck in traffic is not in my control but there are choices I can make to handle the stress. For example, I can try to take another route or try to put on some soothing music and just use that time to relax. In both of the above examples, I have to change my thought process and reactions to the circumstances at hand. The situation is not going to change, but if I proactively change my way of reacting, I can create a better outcome by controlling what I can: myself and my thoughts. That is the idea behind empowering myself. I am taking control of some aspects of a situation and trying to create a positive change in myself. In turn, this leads to a more positive outcome for my mental and physical health.

For many people, taking control of their own life is a completely foreign concept. We all have obligations, whether they are personal, financial, or social. What we often do not realize is that we also have an obligation to ourselves. Taking care of our physical self, emotional self, and mental self is an obligation that we frequently do not prioritize. Looking into the mirror and realizing our worth does not come naturally to everyone. Sometimes it takes awareness and understanding that I am worth more than I am giving myself credit for. And realizing our "worth" is not the end of the story. We must put that thought into action. Often we succumb to the day to day struggles of life and the work that needs to be done. We seem to just go through the motions, not giving ourselves the credit for each action and the sheer physical and mental effort that is required to sometimes just get through the day.

I tend to give others all the benefits of kind words, thoughtful gifts, and the biggest gift of all--time. Why not put myself on that list as well through a self-care day, whether it is meditation, a hot shower, an hour of solitude, or anything else that I am able to do for my inner peace? Just focusing on myself for a few minutes will help with the tension of getting through the rest of the day. I also realize and understand that no one lives in a bubble of isolation. The good I put out into the world has a way of coming back to me, even if it is only in a feeling of accomplishment or satisfaction. We have a shared responsibility to try and make the world better. I can do things like find groups that share my concerns and passions, or find a cause that I care about in my community. There are local soup kitchens that can always use volunteers. Places of worship are always in need of organizers and volunteers for their events. If I find a way to give back to the community that I love, the experience will give me a sense of validation.

To help get started on your journey to empowering yourself, try the following titles from the Mercer County Library System:

Just Feel: How To Be Stronger, Happier, Healthier, and More
by Mallika Chopra

Featuring full-colour illustrations, Just Feel is an engaging and easy-to-read guide that introduces kids to the building blocks of resilience and grit. The U.S. and other nations are quickly becoming aware of the importance of children's ability to be independent and meet challenges head on; parents are eager for resources that help kids learn how to navigate life on their own. Just Feel is one of the very few books on social and emotional health that speaks directly to kids. Designed specifically with kids ages 8-12 in mind, the book clearly addresses important topics such as flexibility, responsibility, communication, creativity, and self-knowledge. Written by the respected writer and wellness expert Mallika Chopra, Just Feel is sure to effectively teach kids how they can balance their emotions and make positive choices for themselves. 

Madly In Love with Me: The Daring Adventure of Becoming Your Own Best Friend
by Christine Arylo

Most of us know that loving ourselves would be a good idea, but we have no clue what that really means. Self-love feels too vast, too esoteric, and frankly like something you should keep under wraps. This breakthrough book on self-love changes all that by taking you beyond the idea of loving, valuing, and caring for yourself into daring acts that will help you experience it. 

Christine Arylo provides practical, fun ways to explore and embody the ten branches of self-love every day and in every part of your life. Reading this book is like receiving permission to treat yourself as a best friend would.

Dancing with Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
by Phillip Moffitt

Why do we suffer? Is there a purpose to our pain? Noting that human beings have wrestled with such questions for thousands of years, Phillip Moffitt has found answers for his own life in Buddhist philosophy and meditation. Reflecting on his own journey from Esquire magazine editor-in-chief to Buddhist meditation teacher, Moffitt provides a fresh perspective on the Buddha's ancient wisdom, showing how to move from suffering to new awareness and unanticipated joy. 

In this deeply spiritual book that is sure to become a Buddhist classic, Moffitt explores the twelve insights that underlie the Buddha's core teaching--the Four Noble Truths--and uses these often neglected ideas to guide readers to a more meaningful relationship to suffering. Moffitt write- "These twelve insights teach you to dance with both the joy and pain, finding peace in a balanced mind and calm spirit. As the most specific, practical life instructions I have ever encountered, they serve as an invaluable tool for anyone who seeks a life filled with meaning and well-being." Practicing these twelve insights, as Moffitt suggests, will help readers experience life's difficulties without being filled with stress and anguish, and they will enhance their moments of happiness. With engaging writing and a strong message of self-empowerment, Dancing with Life offers a prescriptive path for finding joy and peace that will appeal to meditation students and readers of "Dharma Wisdom," Moffitt's column in Yoga Journal, as well as anyone searching for a more authentic life. 

Soul Searching: A Girl's Guide to Finding Herself
by Sarah Stillman 

While fashion magazines, television programs, and websites emphasize the superficial and foster insecurities, Sarah Stillman directs teen girls to a healthy place where a strong sense of self and direction take center stage. Originally written when the author was just sixteen, Soul Searching has been fully updated and expanded to address the concerns of today's teens, bringing girl power to the printed page by offering young women a clear path to self-discovery and empowerment. Through fun quizzes, insightful exercises, and provocative statistics, Stillman guides young women through the complex maze between adolescence and adulthood. 

Featuring updated sections on safe cell-phone use, social media, health, and gender, as well as including updated resources throughout, Soul Searching is a must-read for teenage girls.

Happiness Becomes You: A Guide to Changing Your Life for Good
by Tina Turner 

Tina Turner--living legend, icon to millions, and author of the "brave and wry" (Vulture) memoir My Love Story--returns with a deeply personal book of wisdom that explores her longstanding faith in Buddhism and provides a guide to these timeless principles so you can find happiness in your own life.

Tina is a global icon of inspiration. And now, with Happiness Becomes You: A Guide to Changing Your Life for Good, Tina shows how anyone can overcome life's obstacles--even transform the "impossible" to possible--and fulfill our dreams. She shows how we, too, can improve our lives, empowering us with spiritual tools and sage advice to enrich our unique paths.

CNN news anchor Brooke Baldwin explores the phenomenon of "huddling," when women lean on one another--in politics, Hollywood, activism, the arts, sports, and everyday friendships--to provide each other support, empowerment, inspiration, and the strength to solve problems or enact meaningful change. Whether they are facing adversity (like workplace inequity or a global pandemic) or organizing to make the world a better place, women are a highly potent resource for one another.

Through a mix of journalism and personal narrative, Baldwin takes readers beyond the big headline-making huddles from recent years (such as the Women's March, #MeToo, Times Up, and the record number of women running for public office) and embeds herself in groups of women of all ages, races, religions and socio-economic backgrounds who are banding together in America.
— By Kaneeze at Hightstown

Comments