International “Staycation”

I love to travel to other countries. I love to experience different cultures from my own by immersing myself in them, eating them. To me, you can experience so much by learning about and trying local foods from places you visit.

Alas, with the ever-growing price of airfare these days, it’s much harder to visit the many countries on my bucket list. I know I’ll get there someday, but in the meantime, I still want to learn about different cuisines and try new things on a regular basis.

Which brings us to: cookbooks.

Cookbooks full of cuisines from all over the world are available from the Mercer County Library System, which makes it incredibly easy (and cheap) to bring other nations to the comfort of your own home. Although some ingredients may be harder to find, like ones that are rarely exported from their home nations, alternatives can be found in the international aisle of your favorite store, international grocery stores, or online markets.

Here are my recommendations for cookbooks, near and far.

Korea

In August 2017, during a two week visit to South Korea, I tried authentic Korean barbecue for the very first time.

With meat cooking on the table grill in front of me, I sat on the floor next to my friend with my shoes left near the front door of the establishment. I had spent the previous night on the hard floor of my sister’s tiny apartment, back sore and eyes drooping from jetlag.

The owners of the restaurant had taken the tongs from my sister, who had been living in Korea for a while now, and showed us how to cook the beef and vegetables. Not much time later, the meat was tender and juicy, mixing perfectly with the ssamjang, lettuce, rice, and the many side dishes that came with it.

By the end of the night, my belly was full of fatty meat and I was thinking, “So…this is South Korea.”

How can I tell a story about me eating in South Korea and not recommend some Korean cookbooks? The following books are filled with recipes for bibimbap, tteokbokki, gimbap, galbi, and so much more. You can find many of these ingredients at your local grocery store or Asian supermarket.

Maangchi is one of my favorite Korean cooks to learn from, as she has her own YouTube channel and a blog for posting recipes. The picture seen here is an example of her spicy cucumber salad (oi-muchum), made by me at home! The cookbook I’d recommend is Maangchi’s Big Book of Korean Cooking, as it’s full of interesting and easy-to-understand recipes.

Another Korean cookbook I recommend is Cook Korean! A Comic Book with Recipes by Robin Ha. The book is drawn in comic book form alongside the recipes. All of the comics are light-hearted and fun to read as you learn the basics of Korean cuisine!


Japan

To be honest, I’ve wanted to go to Japan for at least fifteen years. In those fifteen years, I’ve had plenty of Japanese food in the United States, enjoyed in ramen shops, sushi places, and Japanese grocery stores. None of this is likely to compare to having authentic, local food in Tokyo, Kyoto, or Sapporo. Like with Korean ingredients, many ingredients for Japanese cooking are easy to find in your local grocery store or local Asian supermarket.

Fun fact! Ramen is incredibly important to Japanese cuisine and culture, as every region has their own styles and flavors, which is why I’ve included Let’s Make Ramen: A Comic Book Cookbook by Hugh Amano. This comic cookbook shows the history of the dish as you are led step-by-step to make your own authentic Japanese ramen.

Another Japanese cookbook that might be interesting to you is The Real Japanese Izakaya Cookbook by Wataru Yokota. In Japanese, an izakaya is a type of bar that serves several types of small dishes and snacks to accompany the alcoholic beverages. Many of these dishes can also be enjoyed as an appetizer to any Japanese meal.





Great Britain

British cooking, spanning the British Isles and Ireland, is often given a bad reputation. Many have said it’s bland and boring, so don’t bother trying it.

I say ignore all of that. I’ve been to Britain (minus Ireland) and I’ll definitely be in the minority for saying this, but British food is good. Granted, many of the dishes are of the hearty variety, which include meat pies, along with roasted meats and vegetables.

For the basics of British Cooking, I recommend Traditional Cooking of the British Isles by Annette Yates. With over 300 recipes to choose from, there’s something for everyone. This book has regional recipes from England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland, so you can pick and choose what you want to try next.

If you wanted modern versions to traditional cooking, you can always check out Jamie Oliver’s Great Britain. This celebrity chef is a native Brit who is always looking to update some of his nation’s well-known recipes. Some of these favorites, like Bubble & Squeak and Toad in the Hole, are found in his book!





Scandinavia (Nordic Countries)

As a bit of a history nerd, I’ve always been interested in Vikings. I’ve gotten a glimpse of them from my travels in England and in history books, but I don’t think that’s enough. Additionally, my paternal great-grandfather was from Norway. I’d like to know where he came from, all those years ago.

Nordic cuisine involves a lot of fish, pickled vegetables, and various meats. The cuisine of the north isn’t usually complicated, especially recipes by Katrín Björk. Her cookbook is called From the North: A Simple and Modern Approach to Authentic Nordic Cooking, which encompasses all of Scandinavia, including Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Iceland.




Special: Disney

In addition to all of these wonderful international cookbooks, I also want to include The Unofficial Disney Parks EPCOT Cookbook by Ashley Craft.

Now, I know what you’re thinking, “Jamie…how is this international? This is Disney World.” Yes, it’s Disney World. But, it’s also Epcot, which includes the World Showcase. Disney is in France, Japan, and Hong Kong. I also know that people are trying to recreate Disney park foods on food blogs and TikTok…and I’ve been wanting to go to Disney for a while now.

I hope you’re traveling the world from your kitchen. You can find these books and many more at your local branch of the Mercer County Library System!

- by Jamie C., Robbinsville Branch

Comments

  1. Fabulous article. Entertaining and informative. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A culinary staycation is a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment