New to New Jersey

As of August 28, 2022, I have lived in New Jersey for one year. I’m still brand new to the state! I’m glad the library was here to introduce me to what this great state has to offer: pork roll (or is it called Taylor ham?), going down the shore (I inevitably say “I’m going to the beach”, but I’m working on it!), the Pine Barrens, the Jersey Devil, and more.

Of course, right after moving, I had to go the DMV—excuse me, the MVC— and update my identification. But if you need to take or retake your driver’s test or you just want to review the driver’s handbook, you can go to Driving Tests on our website and take some practice tests to review your driving knowledge. Be sure to watch out for those jug handles. Beep beep!

I enjoy learning about history, especially local history. Several Revolutionary War battles were fought here in New Jersey. That means there’s a lot of history around. The historical markers may be hard to get to sometimes, but there are always books to pick up about local history. The late, great David McCullough wrote 1776 about the Revolutionary War and, of course, included New Jersey’s involvement.

For a lighter-hearted look at New Jersey history, try It Happened in New Jersey. With chapters titled “The Incredible Jersey Jumper”, “Santa Claus is Born on a Desk in New Jersey”, and “Through the Eyes of a Dog”, this book talks about the smaller, but no less historical, events that have happened throughout New Jersey’s history.

I mentioned pork roll above and was thrilled to find The Pork Roll Cookbook! This book celebrates and demonstrates the delicious food native to New Jersey. Still hungry after your Taylor ham? Check out Dishing Up New Jersey. This cookbook found the best recipes using local produce and has dupes for your favorite snacks from local bakeries and delis.

People tell me there is a giant elephant down the shore in Atlantic City? The book Atlantic City,125 Years of Ocean Madness, includes stories about Miss America, Mr. Peanut, Lucy the Elephant, the High Diving Horse, and more. It brings to life the history and oddities of Atlantic City. Want to know about the crazy rides they’ve offered on the boardwalk and see the famous people that have stopped by for some fun at the shore? This book is for you.

Speaking of the beach shore, there are a ton of items about the Jersey shore, including books about lighthouses, shore ghosts, shipwrecks, and, of course, those New Yorkers pretending to be from New Jersey, all 6 seasons of Jersey Shore.

From the shore to the woods: The Pine Barrens are a very interesting place to visit and read about. The Pine Barrens. A National Reserve, the Pine Barrens make up one-fifth of the area in New Jersey and have flora and fauna you won’t see anywhere else. Take a photographic tour through this unique area with Season of the Pines and Pinelands: New Jersey’s Suburban Wilderness. The pictures took my breath away and made me want to put on my walking shoes, wander through the woods, then dump sugar sand out of my shoes after I got home.

With sections including “Local Legends”, “Ancient Mysteries”, “Bizarre Beasts”, “Roadside Oddities”, and others, Weird N.J. just might become my guide book to all things strange in the state. Who doesn’t love things that are weird, wild, or a little odd?

If a short blurb about the Jersey Devil in Weird N.J. isn’t enough for you - as it wasn’t enough for me - try the book, Tales of the Jersey Devil. Tracking the history of the legend of the Devil from 1735 to 2004, this book might give you the chills and make you too wary to go into the Pine Barrens after dark.

The Lawrence Headquarters branch has an entire room devoted to books and other ephemera about New Jersey. Some of the items are reference items, so you can’t take them out of the library, but lots are able to be checked out to be read at leisure. If you’re looking for genealogy, history, or anything specific to New Jersey, the New Jersey room would be the place to start. Other branches have a section for New Jersey as well; be sure to check your favorite branch.

I haven’t seen or done all the things I’ve listed in person—yet—but I want to get to know my new state. What are some other things I should know about New Jersey? Is it Taylor ham or pork roll? Have you seen the Jersey Devil? Let me know in the comments!

- by Kimberley, Lawrence Headquarters

Comments