Summer Internships with the Mercer County Library System

Summer is the busiest time for children’s librarians! Kids are off from school, and the library becomes even more of a hub than usual for families to enjoy many free programs, earn incentive prizes for reading, find help with summer reading assignments, earn volunteer hours, and simply just hang out in the air conditioning! Having help is much appreciated at such a time, and the Youth Services Department of the Lawrence Branch has been privileged to receive student interns these last two summers – Molly (a rising senior) last year, and Mazaiah (a rising sophomore) this year. Both have been fantastic, ready with a friendly smile for the kids, and willing to be an extra pair of hands wherever needed. I would like to take this opportunity to share a little about the internship program. Keep reading to learn the specifics of the program and to hear from Molly D. (Summer 2022) about her experiences!

Details About the Internship Program

The internship program is organized by Mercer County’s Office of Personnel, and the specific requirements for each year can be found using the following link: https://www.mercercounty.org/departments/personnel/job-opportunities/mercer-county-internship-program

The program is designed for high school and college students who would like hands-on experience to help meet their educational goals. It is a paid internship. Interns have a number of positions to choose from, not just in the library system. There are also positions in Administration, the Board of Elections, the County Clerk’s office, Corrections Center, Airport, Highways Department, Housing, Howell Living History Farm, golf courses, the equestrian center, the tennis center, Rutgers Cooperative Extension, and the Treasurer’s office, just to name a few. Applicants must choose 3 positions of interest and, if those positions are filled, they have the option of being placed in a different, available position. Interns must be at least 15 years old and either live or go to school in Mercer County. Applications are available on the County’s website (see link above) and are accepted through early May. (Check the website for specifics, as dates and available positions may change from year to year.)

Interview with Intern, Molly D.

What got you interested in the library? Why choose the library over other possible internships?

I was interested in finding a job that was easily accessible to me and was what I was able to do. When I heard that I was going to the children’s department, I was overjoyed because it is my dream to work in early education with preschool-aged children.

How did you hear about the internship opportunity?

I heard about the internship through my father and sister, who both also work for the County at the library. They knew I had been looking for a job for quite some time and that this was the perfect one for me.

What are your duties at the library? What are your favorite and least favorite tasks?

I am in charge of the crafts and preparing them to be made by the children at home [take-out crafts] or at the library [drop-in crafts and crafts for scheduled programs]. I make samples and make copies for the librarians on the copier machine. I restock displays and make bulletin boards. I assist the librarians in their programs such as baby time, story time, craft time and many others. My favorite task is singing the book Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? for the babies at baby time. Singing is a big hobby of mine, so to share it with them is special for me. My least favorite task is cutting things when they need to be a specific way. I am quite clumsy with a pair of scissors!

Do you consider it a worthwhile and rewarding experience?

I consider it a very educational job and experience for me as an eighteen-year-old looking to work in early education. I get the experience of working with children that teenagers my age find hard to achieve. It is all worth it when I see a child with their parents, grandparents, aunt or uncle working on a craft that I helped assemble; seeing their happy faces creating something they can treasure for many years to come.

Is there anything else you’d like to share – last thoughts or a fun story?

I have had a lot of fun working with the kids and talking to them. Seeing them happy gives me this free serotonin boost I didn’t know I needed. A story I would like to share is of when I was watching over a craft in case anyone needed any help and, as a little girl was about to leave, her grandmother goes, “What do you say to Miss Molly?” Instead of saying “thank you,” she smiled and said, “ I love you.” It warmed my heart so much and made my day.

Thank you for your help, Molly, and best of luck reaching your goal of working with preschoolers! The library kids loved having you here, and you will be an asset wherever you go.

- by Jennifer Crabtree, Children’s Librarian, Lawrence Branch

Comments