Traveling Through Books

Summer is the classic time of year for vacations. Maybe you like going north to escape the heat, or you like working on your tan in the tropics. Maybe you like exploring far away cities and sampling unfamiliar cuisine.

And maybe vacations are a little more trouble than they’re worth, sometimes, so you stay home where you’re comfortable. No worries about flight cancellations or keeping track of your passport. No packing, no finding a dog sitter last second. But, just because you’re not physically leaving, it doesn’t mean you can’t go on an adventure! Books can take you anywhere at any time, all from the comfort of your own home.

Some books are so enchanting, they make you forget you’re reading. I absolutely love that feeling when I’ve been reading for so long that when I finally look up from the pages, I almost feel jet-lagged. My cozy chair doesn’t quite feel real, and half my mind is still stuck in the pages of a book. While some of the adventures might not feel as relaxing as a true vacation, books still offer a unique travel experience.

Here’s a list of some of my favorite books that transport me all over the world without the stress of travel!

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

Singapore. This book is full of lush descriptions of unbelievable locations and food (specially to places and dishes us not-crazy-rich people can’t afford!) You’ll feel like you really stepped off a plane into Asia with this book, and the drama is sure to keep you entertained.

House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig

Okay, I know this one is technically fantasy and the world in this book doesn’t exist, but this list is about places we can’t visit in person anyway, and you can’t tell me you don’t smell the salty sea air when you read this book. With the mystery unfolding in this book, you’ll never want to come up for air.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I love modern London, but I do wish I could have visited during the Victorian Era, too. This book takes you back in time to the late Victorian era and then throws you into a black and white circus so rich with description, you’ll forget you’re not there. Every aspect of the setting and the fashion and the food is so richly detailed, the story truly comes to life around you.

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Don’t let the genre fool you, this fantasy book takes place in Modern day Virginia! The town itself is fictional, but the Blue Ridge Mountains are as real as they get! It helps that I went to college around that area, so all the little details like Highway 81 and stopping at certain local gas station chains that I recognized helped bring this story off the page for me.

Beach Read by Emily Henry

Of course, what’s a list about travel-less vacations without a beach destination? This book gets a little meta, following two writers struggling with writing their books at the beach, but that’s part of the charm. You’ll feel that sand between your toes and hear the ocean before you know it. Bonus, you (probably) won’t get sunburn!



- by Lydia, Administration Office

Comments