My Sister, My Reading Role Model

Growing up, my sister Jenny was an avid reader. I cannot remember a time in our childhood when I did not see a book in her hands. During the two-hour car ride up to my grandparents' house, she would be reading in the car. The night before our family trips to Cape Cod, she would pack as many books as she could in her suitcase and, at night when we were supposed to be sleeping, she would be reading her books. Even when we were going to play outside, my sister would climb the highest tree in our backyard, lean against the tree trunk and read. One of Jenny's ambitions was to read all the cat books in the Walter C. Black Elementary School library. Our local library, the Hickory Corner Branch, became a second home to her. We would stop at the library during our family walks for Jenny to check out even more books.

Throughout my childhood, I looked up to my older sister and wanted to be just like her. Everything she did, I tried to do - especially when it came to reading. There was a problem with that, though: I was not good at reading. I needed help with sounding out words and comprehending the story. As I struggled to read a simple One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish book, my sister was reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I felt ashamed about this shortcoming of myself, but Jenny encouraged me to push on and continue to try reading. So, that is precisely what I did. I kept on reading with Jenny's help and motivation.

Because of all of the hard work I put into becoming a reader, Jenny gave me something that I still own today. That present was her copy of The Perks of Being A Wallflower. That gift symbolized her encouragement to become a better reader and not let myself or others get in the way of accomplishing my goal. It was as if my sister was telling me, "You have done it, Becca, you've worked hard to become a reader like me. And I am proud," when she handed me the book.

As time passed, and Jenny moved on to bigger and better things after college, I was also busy working towards my career goals. Since then, I noticed that my sister reads less and less. She has responsibilities and does not have the luxury of time to read. I do not even know the last time she read a book. 

Early in January 2024, I started listening to the audiobook A Court of Thrones and Roses, and it was the beginning of a great book series. I cannot remember the last time I read a book series that made me laugh and cry. I knew my sister had to read it.

So, I ordered the box set and had it sent to her house. Some time passed, and I received a text from her. In the text, Jenny told me how thrilled she was to receive the box set from me and that she was reading chapter 10! Jenny said that this gift meant a lot and that she is glad to have a librarian sister to recommend books to her. 

Since then, we have been texting about the series nonstop. We even decided to have a book club called "Jenny and Becca Book Sesh." I never would have thought that I, someone who struggled with reading, would be able to get someone else excited about reading a new book series. Especially if that someone eats and breathes reading! I am happy to have my sister back to reading, and I know she is glad she is reading again, too.

Books mentioned in the blog:

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss

“A story-poem about the activities of such unusual animals as the Nook, Wump, Yink, Yop, Gack, and the Zeds.”

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K Rowling

“During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.”

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Steve Chbosky

“A haunting coming of age novel told in a series of letters to an unknown correspondent reveals the life of Charlie, a freshman in high school who is a wallflower, shy and introspective, and very intelligent. It's a story of what it's like to grow up in high school, tracing a course through uncharted territory in the world of first dates, family dramas and new friends.”

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Mass

"Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from stories, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin, a High Lord of the faeries. As her feelings toward him transform from hostility to a fiery passion, the threats against the faerie lands grow. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse or she will lose Tamlin forever."



- by Rebecca, Hollowbrook Branch

Comments