You Can Take Memories of Japanese Food Through Customs

My recent trip to Japan was a lot of fun. One of the best things I was able to bring back with me was an appreciation for Japanese food. A lot of everyday Japanese dishes are easy for westerners to make at home - or find locally. Here are some of my favorites. I didn't include the amazing stuff you can get at 7-11 in Japan, but keep that in mind if you ever go there.

Japanese Curry

Japan has its own take on curry, and in my experience, Japanese people will be quick to remind you of that if you confuse it with other curries. Japanese curry is typically served over rice, meat or noodles. It's ingredients are available in most American grocery stores if you want to make it at home. If you're ever in Tokyo, you might want to stop by a neighborhood called Jinbocho that's famous for two things: bookstores and Japanese curry!

Wasabi

Because it was my first time in Japan, I had to try the sushi. It was great, of course, and one of the things that stood out to me was the use of fresh wasabi. In America, our sushi comes with a strong green-hued horseradish. Wasabi is subtler and allows you to enjoy the nuances of the sushi. Don't worry if you feel like you're missing out on an authentic experience, though. I met a person from Hokkaido in the north of Japan who told me they prefer horseradish in that part of the country!

Ramen

I was lucky to find a late-night ramen restaurant that welcomed me in and served me the best ramen I've ever had. I can't compare it to anything I've ever had in America, because this stuff goes way beyond the instant packs we can get in the grocery store. Everything about the food and the atmosphere of that restaurant was amazing!

Japanese Omelet

I'm from New Jersey, which means I love diners and diner food. I thought I knew how great an omelet could be, but Japan has perfected it – the omurice. Japanese omelets are sweeter and firmer than our style, and much less greasy, too. They have some amazing sauces that go on them. I highly encourage you to try them.

Corn Potage

Corn Potage, which is a smooth corn soup, isn't native to Japan but it's very popular there. I could tell because of the giant billboards advertising it and the vending machines that serve it. I was lucky enough to find a great Japanese restaurant that serves it for breakfast and I'm hooked. It's the perfect winter food.

Coffee

When I was exploring Japan, I was happy to learn that it has a great coffee culture. Tokyo is full of independent shops that are run by people who really care about the quality of the coffee they serve. The most popular spots can get pretty busy, so be prepared to wait in line! If you don't want to go through the trouble, I sat in a Starbucks during a snowstorm and really enjoyed the atmosphere, so that's always an option.

Japanese Home Cooking: Simple Meals, Authentic Flavors

Grow Your Own Spices: Harvest Homegrown Ginger, Turmeric, Saffron, Wasabi, Vanilla, Cardamom, and Other Incredible Spices No Matter Where You Live!

Ramen: 80 Easy Noodle Bowls and Broths

Gohan: Memories and Stories From my Family's Kitchen

The Coffee Book

- by Andrew, Lawrence Branch

Comments