Using Online Services Abroad



Dear Tech Guru, 

I’m traveling out of the country this summer. Can I still use the library’s online services like Libby and Kanopy?

Abroad Library User


Hi Abroad, 

Depending on where you travel, you may be able to use some of the digital services the Mercer County Library System provides abroad, but you also may run into issues based on the geolocation of your IP address. 

Let me explain.  

Every device that is connected to the Internet is assigned a unique IP address. The IP address is assigned by your Internet Service Provider. The IP address’s geolocation is commonly based on the geographical location of your Internet Service Provider. 

Using a smartphone as an example, if I am using my cellular connection, the IP address of my phone has been assigned by my cellular service provider. This limits my geolocation to the range my cellular service provider covers based on cell towers near my physical location. 

If I am on wi-fi, then the IP address my phone is using is being assigned by the Internet Service Provider the wi-fi connection uses to connect to the Internet. If you are in a branch of MCLS, your device is connecting to an access point that connects to the Internet. 

Some of our digital services allow access based on your device’s geolocation and limit that access to the United States or North America. With this in mind, we recommend you download content and put your device into airplane mode. Airplane Mode turns off your device’s wi-fi and cellular connections while still allowing you to enjoy materials you’ve downloaded no matter where you go.  

Putting your device into airplane mode stops your device from syncing with the internet.  Anything you have downloaded will stay on your device while it’s in airplane mode until you turn it off and allow your device to re-connect to wi-fi and cellular service.  This tip is useful even if you aren’t traveling abroad this summer - maybe you’re going camping, to the beach, or a long road trip.  Wi-fi and cellular service can be spotty; downloading your content and using airplane mode is a great way to get your reading, listening and watching done while traveling. 

If you are taking your devices with you it might be a good idea to revisit our post on Keeping Your Tech Safe in the Summer


Have a wonderful summer!

Tech Guru

- Amelia, IT


Comments