Exploring Bucks County on the Ale Trail

My former co-worker, Tom, is a beer aficionado. If you’ve read my beer-related post of November 2018, you’ll know I credit him with teaching me what to look for to find beer I enjoy. Since then, I’ve visited several more craft breweries in New Jersey and have recently branched out into Bucks County, Pennsylvania.

The impetus for this branching was discovering the Bucks County Ale Trail. Here was a framework to explore the county across the river and become better acquainted with the towns I may only have heard of or driven through before.

One of my best memories of the summer is visiting Perkasie, Pennsylvania. Perkasie is home to at least three craft breweries – I have tried one, the Van Lieus Brewing Company.  The reason the town brings up good memories is because I had walked a trail there many years ago and had been trying to find the name of it for the past few years.  All I could vaguely remember was that there was a carousel up on a hill, a pedestrian suspension bridge, and a war memorial.  I found the trail when I researched more about the town – the Sellersville-Perkasie-East Rockhill Bicycle/Walking Path.  I was so excited that I visited the town that weekend!  A description of the trail may be found in Walking Bucks County, Pa: Country and Town by Catherine D. Kerr.  An older title, but the information is still valid.

Another trip took me to Lake Nockamixon State Park.  Again, a park I had visited many years ago but always thought about going back.  This time, I did the Quarry trail, which I found while reading through the 2024 edition of 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles, Philadelphia: Including Surrounding Counties and Nearby Areas of New Jersey and Delaware.  Not too far from the park is Quakertown and the Two Rivers Brewing Company.  

Looking a bit closer to home, there’s Vault Brewing Company in Yardley, Pennsylvania, located within an old bank.  Neat décor and a great atmosphere.  I paired this ale stop with a visit to Pennsbury Manor in Morrisville, Pennsylvania.  I didn’t know much about William Penn beyond his statue and having something to do with the creation of Pennsylvania. To prepare, I used the Infobase American History database to find out more.  Then to learn about William Penn and the Leni Lenape, I also used the Infobase American Indian History database.

Finally, another short trip brought me to Triumph Brewing Company in New Hope, Pennsylvania – many of you may also be familiar with their Princeton location, now located in the old Princeton post office.  Besides all the great sights and sounds of New Hope and nearby Lambertville, you can take a short trip down the road to Bowman’s Wildflower Preserve.  Plan your visit in advance and take advantage of the library system’s museum passes to the preserve – available to reserve from the Ewing, Hickory Corner, and Hopewell Branches (admits 2 adults and up to 4 children).

If exploring new places in New Jersey is your priority, and like the idea of structuring your trips around a good beverage, take a look at these “trails”:

Hunterdon County Beer Trail

Northern, Central, and Southern trails

Jersey Brews Trail

Two Bridges Wine, Beer, & Spirits Trail

Wine and Ale Trail of South Jersey

- Andrea at Hopewell

Comments

  1. This is the greatest blog post in the history of blog posts, and I include, in that assessment, the blog post in which Alexander Graham Bell posted, saying: "Mr. Watson, come here -- I want to see you," a message meant for his assistant, Thomas Watson. When Watson read the post 3 weeks later and finally showed up, they knew that Bell had successfully invented the blog. (A day later, when someone commented on the post: "Bell and Watson, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G", the first troll was born. But that's a different story.)

    Anyroad, the main reason I love this post is the ex-colleague you mention: Tom. He intrigues me. You should post more about him. How many other people's lives has he enriched with his esoteric knowledge? Is he as handsome and erudite as he sounds? Is he single? Is he somehow related to that *other* famous Tom, Thomas Watson? I can't be the *only* person who's wondering about these things, can I?

    The rest of the post was pretty good, too. Not as good as the Tom-part, but good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment