Yup – I am reusing the title of my very first blog because I’m talking about trees again.
In that 2018 post, I talked about the Dawn Redwood (or Metasequoia) in my back yard. This species is considered a living fossil and was thought to be extinct until a few were discovered in China in the 1940’s.
It is an unusual conifer in that it is deciduous (loses its needles in the fall). More than once I have had people tell me it’s a shame the big tree is dead – I momentarily panic and then explain that this is normal and it will have new needles in the spring.
Back in 2018 it was 101 inches around. Now, about 8 years later, it is 114 inches! That means that the diameter is just over 3 feet wide – almost the exact size of the tables in the YA section here in the West Windsor Branch. The estimated height is 75 to 100 feet tall - probably in the middle of that range based on its location.
It’s a big tree! But there is also a small tree – I have grown seeds harvested from my tree and one is now about 3 feet tall. This tree and some smaller ones are going to be a Saikei (translated from the Japanese as “planted landscape”). Saikei is the art of combining living trees with soil, rocks, water, and related vegetation (like ground cover) to create a miniature landscape.
I have one of these little landscapes planted with miniature ficus trees at the reference desk. It’s going to go home for some rest and recuperation soon, but will be back in the fall – it’s been a hot, dry summer here due to the current HVAC repair and all the plants are a bit worse for wear.
In the fall, I should also have seeds and even a few seedlings to share!
If you are interested in trees and bonsai - I have just the books for you!
Bonsai Survival Manual: Tree-by-Tree Guide to Buying, Maintaining and Problem Solving
Freestyle Bonsai: How to Pot, Grow, Prune, and Shape: Bend the Rules of Traditional Bonsai
Bonsai Master Class: Lessons and Tips from a Japanese Master for All the Most Popular Types of Bonsai
Bonsai: Essential Know-How and Expert Advice for Gardening Success
The Bonsai Specialist: The Essential Guide to Buying, Planting, Displaying, Improving, and Caring for Bonsai
Trees
Trees
And just because it’s beautiful…. Trees in Winter
- Meg, West Windsor Branch








Comments
Post a Comment