Pete the Cat is One Groovy Dude
Pete the Cat is a beloved children’s book character created by artist and illustrator James Dean, and a personal favorite of mine. As I sit here writing, Pete is watching over me, quite literally; there is a Pete the Cat poster hanging in the children’s department across from my desk, and a Pete the Cat stuffie is on the shelves behind me.
Pete is featured in over 100 children’s books. It all started in 2008 with Pete the Cat: I Love My White
Shoes. Initially self-published by James Dean and author Eric Litwin, it was later picked up and widely distributed by HarperCollins publishing. I clearly remember reading this book for the first time. Back then I was a young youth services librarian at the Lawrence Headquarters Branch. I was going through the new picture books and Pete stood out to me. There was something about that quirky cat in the white high tops on the cover that caught my attention and I absolutely loved the moral of the story, “No matter what you step in, keep walking along and singing your song…because it’s all good.” I knew this book was going to be a hit (I like to tell people that I knew Pete the Cat before he was famous). I read it in storytime that week and the kids really enjoyed it, but the parents connected with the message. This book is the perfect way to teach children about overcoming life’s adversities, not stressing and staying positive. These themes are also present in Pete’s subsequent books.This summer I had the honor of hosting Pete the Cat at the Hickory Corner Branch for several children’s programs. He even had his own security detail! We started the week with a Pete the Cat storytime, where I read his first book, then later in the week we had an ice cream party with Pete, a dance party, and a meet and greet. I had so much fun sharing my love of Pete the Cat with so many families.
If you are looking for more things Pete, the Pete the Cat website is a helpful resource, featuring a
complete list of Pete’s books, links to YouTube read-alouds, and lots of printable activities. It is ideal for parents, teachers, and librarians looking for activities to pair with Pete’s books. Pete the Cat also has his own hit TV show on Amazon Prime. I’m generally not the biggest fan of children’s books being turned into shows or movies, but I think this one is well done. My daughter and I loved watching it together when she was little (because of course I turned her into a mini Pete fan). Her favorite was always Pete the Cat and the Missing Cupcakes. We even had the game that went along with the book. You can find that game and others here.
Pete has come a long way from the quirky little kitty I met all those years ago. His books have now sold over 11 million copies! But why buy them when you can check them out from Mercer County Library System? Look for all the Pete the Cat books in our catalog!
- Andrea, Hickory Corner Branch





Comments
Post a Comment